Re: Re: Newb

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 04:01:12AM -0000, kngrdwn wrote:
> Odd.  If you hit Enter with the Procedure Browser open, it returns to
> the Procedure Browser.  If you hit Enter with the cursor anywhere but
> in the Current Command area nothing happens, presumably because it's
> waiting for values to be entered.
>
> Having got it to enter the line, which calls for a variety of values
> not necessarily applicable when attempting to process a large number
> of files, it prompts this error msg:  ERROR: unbound variable (errobj
> run_mode)

run_mode is an unrequired parameter.  more than that if you use the
parameter it will break your attempt.  i do not understand the reason
they wrote it this way however, it is documented at the gimp web site
although, it might be in a perl scripting how to.

this part is very crudely done -- no arguements from me about that.

> Based on your response on the other forum, and not knowing Scheme,
> Perl or Python, I'd have to guess it's looking for a filename and/or
> location variables.  I'm not really trying to create a script that
> identifies filenames, however.
>
> It's weird.  Over the last 15 years I've worked with lots of image
> editors, most of which have some form of scripting implementation.
> I've edited in most, although I'm not a programmer.  Since Gimp has
> been around a while, I expected a little more advanced implementation
> (advanced as in easier for artists to work with :).
>
> Oh well...

there are several notions of what the word "artist" means.  i think gimp
has been used successfully by artists via scripting.  it is unfortunate
that a person does not get the term artist applied to them unless they
are hired and given this title or they die and their work becomes
valuable to the people who trade it for money.

i have a rather romantic notion of the word artist.  it is somewhat
media driven as well -- inspired by movies about dead artists and also
books i have read.

this notion involves a human actually learning to make brushes and
stretch canvases and work from the most basic of tools up to being a
full-fledged artist.  hell, some of the art teachers were extremely rude
and cussed to deal with and might have insisted that the apprentice go
to the desert and get his or her own camel hair for his or her homemade
brushes.

i actually know of too many hackers who are much like this themselves.

you use whatever definitions and software you want to accomplish your
tasks and call yourself an artist, i seriously do not care how you do
this and wish you all the good fortune in getting it done.

i must say, on a personal note, all this email exchange about scheme
really makes me want to put the old gimp news guy back into the feed,
regardless of his opinion if he belongs there or not.

i would stay away from scheme if i were you.

i am not you though.

carol

http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/e4wwlB/TM