Use of Red Hat Linux/390

I've been getting off-list inquiries from someone whose company wants to use
the Red Hat Linux/390 platform, but not necessarily purchase a
maintenance/support contract.  They've been told by their Red Hat sales
person that they cannot do this legally, that they absolutely must purchase
the contract to use the software in production.

This runs counter to everything I've ever heard any Red Hat employee state
in the Linux-390 mailing list.  I've told the person to double check this,
but that my understanding was that anything Red Hat made available for
anonymous FTP download could be used for any purpose, as guaranteed under
the various Open Source licenses that cover the contents of the
distribution.

Can anyone from Red Hat confirm or refute this understanding, or point to
some official Red Hat document that confirms or refutes it?

Thanks in advance,

Mark Post