Re: [Redhat-s390-list] On-demand timer patch

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 10:25:13AM -0500, Michael K Lambert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Month's ago, I posted a message to this list asking whether Red Hat had any
> plans for including the on-demand timer patch into their 390 kernel. At the
> time, the answer was no due to a lack of perceived interest. However, my
> boss reports that at SHARE every linux/390 performance related workshop
> listed taming the jiffies problem as the number one tuning priority, so
> there is some interest out there.
>
> Although I hate to repeat myself, I have to ask once again...does RH plan
> on including the on demand timer patch into their 390 kernel?

Hello Michael Lambert,

in general such a patch will go into future Linux kernels, but it needs
some time to think about a clean solution for all architectures, not just
about mainframe.

The IBM mainframe patch for this problem has been quite small and IBM
has made an update for this patch available on 2002-08-16, but I haven't
actually read what problem they have fixed in this newer patch myself.
(I am sure people from the Red Hat kernel group follow this more closely.)
Again: For a real patch, this has to be implemented across all archs.

So "yes", we want this patch integrated into newer kernels from Red Hat,
but we have to be careful on the right integration and the right
timeschedule.  Stability goes first.

greetings,

Florian La Roche

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]