Re: [Redhat-s390-list] RH 390 RPM updates

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 01:02:55PM -0500, Michael K Lambert wrote:
> Hello, all.
>
> I work with Red Hat systems on both intel and 390 architectures. To keep
> these images up to date, we mirror the RPM updates for both architectures.
> The difference in update release frequency between the two architectures is
> great, as could be expected given the popularity of one versus the other.
> This is not a problem except when there is a major security vulnerability
> discovered and a x86 fix is quickly released and no 390 specific release
> follows. One example is the zlib off by one bug. A x86 rpm was made within
> days, while no 390 has been created as of yet.
>
> We don't have a problem building our own binary RPMs from source rpms.
> However, I would like some clarification as to RH's update policy. Why are
> some 390 specific rpms released and not others? How can I know whether
> specific 390 rpms will ever be released at all? Finally, can I trust rpms
> built with the "rpm --rebuild" command to run reliably on the 390?

Hello Michael Lambert,

we are aware that providing errata rpms for mainframe is not as smooth
as for other archs. This has todo with our internal process on how they
are generated and we work on fixing this.

We have left out some few errata updates that are not that much relevant
for mainframe, but in general all erratas should show up for mainframe as
well.

We try to keep mainframe support updated in all newer rpms. But this can
not be for sure until we change our process. Until then, we go through
some extra steps of testing this and thus have to stay with some delayed
process of releasing errata rpms.

I hope we can resolve this soon,
greetings,

Florian La Roche