[Redhat-s390-list] more lcs troubles

Hello,

I've been running RedHat on s/390 for about 3 months now.  The only
trouble I had with installation was getting (and learning how to load)
the lcs network module.  In the past few months, the machine has frozen
completely numerous times, with nothing written to the logfiles or
console which might indicate the cause of the crash.

I did notice that Redhat released updates for numerous s390 packages
which I had installed, including kernel updates.  In hopes that whatever
my problem was would be fixed in these updates, I upgraded my packages,
including the kernel.  Upon reboot, the lcs module attempted to load,
but (due to kernel incompatibility?), it spits out unresolved symbol
errors and fails to load.  IBM's website says only up to kernel-2.4.9-17
is supported.

I understand that lcs is not maintained nor developed by redhat, but
what good are software updates if they are incompatible with current
hardware?

Is there any hope for IBM to release their lcs driver source as GPL?
Does there exist other available network cards compatible with s390
which don't require proprietary software to operate?  Are all
distributions faced with this dilemma?

Thanks,

Ryan Sweat
h3xm3@swbell.net

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]