Re: [Redhat-s390-list] On-demand timer patch

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 07:54:38AM -0600, Michael K Lambert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if Red Hat had any plans to integrate the on-demand timer
> patch into their kernel. Presently, the patch won't work with RH's kernel.
> I only bring this up because I have recently been inundated by documents
> that co-workers brought back from SHARE, primarily from Velocity Software,
> asserting that without this patch a s390 cannot scale beyond 300 linux
> images (due to the .3% processor utilization of an 'idle' image). Although
> 300 images is quite alot, I hate to be saddled by any unnecessary
> limitations.
>
> I realize that we could roll our own kernel, but we'd like to stick with
> RH's if at all possible. This, of course, begs the question as to whether
> or not the timer issue will ever be addressed in the stock kernel tree.

Hello Michael Lambert,

The patch from IBM looks pretty clean and I think it should be again a
kernel-2.5.x discussion on how such a change could be integrated for
all platforms into the standard kernel or if it stays s390-only.

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]