Re: [Redhat-s390-list] Small Bug in /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb

I had a question off list on RPM methopdology.  Part of that
methodology is the concept of openly available bug lists, and
freely available pristine source, and patches, and compilation
recipies, all wrapped up in an SRPM (more below).

This list has some folks coming from mainframe backgrounds (as
did I - in a prior life, I wrote tape drivers for '1401's and
remember with fondness punching printer control tapes for
special form COBOL programs), and some of their ways are new.

Here is a three item 'Clip and Save' to acculturate newbies to
some RPM tricks.

1.  A useful convention in Open Source developemnt is to also
file  the bug in the Bugzilla at:

http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ and list the Bugzilla number, as
well, so that others can learn from your experience, and add
themselves and track and receive notice of a given fix ...

2 ... also posting the version affected is useful -- get it
from a given file thus:

   rpm -qf /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb

which returns:

bash-2.05$ rpm -qf /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb
samba-2.2.1a-4

that is, the 'owning' package is 'samba' at version -2.2.1a-4

3.  One thing --- and this one is a bit tricky.  Some packages
are BUILT from a SRPM -- source RPM -- other than the package
name.  See, e.g., arpwatch, which is built from tcpdump.

This is shown:  rpm -q --qf '%{SOURCESRPM}\n' arpwatch

bash-2.05$  rpm -q --qf '%{SOURCERPM}\n' arpwatch
tcpdump-3.6.2-9.src.rpm

You need to know this to figure out the parent SOURCE package,
which is the Bugzilla owning 'Component' to file against.

-- Russ Herrold

--
end

       Owl River Company
   "The World is Open to Linux (tm)"
   ... Open Source LINUX solutions ...
      info@owlriver.com
         Columbus, OH

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]