From: Mark.Pace@ncgicorp.com [mailto:Mark.Pace@ncgicorp.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 3:40 PM
To: Post, Mark K
Subject: RE: [Redhat-s390-list] No /dev/dasdx

Mark -
Thanks for the hints.  In the last release the mknod command was not
present in the initrd.  But it is in the latest one.  Having absolutely now
idea how to update the initrd  I did the next best thing.  Wait for it to
fail and then enter each mknod command by hand following your script as
guide.

Thanks.

P.S.  Any place you could point me to on how to update the initrd before I
IPL it?

Mark D Pace
Senior Systems Engineer
NCGi (A Mainline Company)
1700 Summit Lake Drive
Tallahassee, FL. 32311
mark.pace@ncgicorp.com
Office: 850-219-5184
Fax: 850-219-5110
http://www.mainline.com
http://www.ncgicorp.com

                    "Post, Mark

                    K"                   To:     Mark
Pace/Mainline@MAINLINEUS
                    <mark.post@ed        cc:

                    s.com>               Subject:     RE: [Redhat-s390-list]
No /dev/dasdx

                    09/27/2001

                    02:56 PM

You could try creating this script and copying it to your initrd before
IPLing:

$ cat mkdasd
#/bin/sh
minor=0
for letter in a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z;
   do for part in " " 1 2 3
      do mknod -m 660 /dev/dasd$letter$part -b 94 $minor
         minor=$(($minor+1))
      done;
  done;

Mark Post