[Redhat-s390-list] Problems Discovered With The Beta

All,

I just wanted to report a number of (relatively small) problems with the
beta from the ftp://ftp.redhat.de server.

The options for the INSTALL= parameter are not documented anywhere.  I
figured them out by mounting the ramdisk on the loopback device, but they
should be talked about in the README.

The packages.xxx files that are on the ramdisk could just as easily be
pulled off the FTP/SMB/whatever server, just like the base/list is.  This
would make it possible for installations to _easily_ create their own
package definitions, and reference them in the inst.parms file.

Specifying ROOTPW= in the inst.parms file causes a syntax error when the
rhsetup script issues the passwd command.  As a result, the password is not
set.  The error message states that the userid needs to be specified, and
was not.

The documentation for the LCS= parameter is incorrect.  It states that you
should specify a value of 'xxxx,1' if using an OSA-2 card, or 'xxxx,2' if
using an OSA-Express card.  In reality, you should specify the address and
relative port number, regardless of the type of card.  Anything else does
not work.

The kernel has support for serial devices in it.  This results in seeing the
following message during IPL: modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module
char-major-4
Adding an 'alias char-major-4 off' parameter to /etc/modules.conf fixes
this.

The install process assumes that the IPL volume will be /dev/dasda, and
gives you no way to change this.  This should be a configurable option.

nfslockd appears to start, but then ends without any sort of error message
anywhere.  If the nfsd daemon is started, it will start nfslockd, which will
then continue to run.  I have no idea why this happens.  I haven't had
enough time (and probably won't) to try to figure it out.

mozilla does not work.  When I try, it looks as though it is trying, but
then the icon disappears from the screen, and all that I see are four
instances of /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin running in the background.  I
tried recompiling it from the source RPM, but the same thing happens.  I
imagine it has something to do with the xpcom code not being written yet.
If so, the mozilla RPMs should be pulled from the server until they are.

Since reiserfs doesn't have any official support for big-endian machines,
that RPM should also be pulled.

/usr/bin/kmail is looking for /usr/lib/libssl.so.1 and
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1, but what is installed is /usr/lib/libssl.so.2, and
/usr/lib/libcrypto.so.2.  A workaround is possible by defining symbolic
links until a real fix is available.

The 2.4.3 kernel comes with 3270-console support enabled.  This causes my
system (or just my console) to hang every time.  How fast I hit the clear
button determines just where, but the farthest I've ever gotten was to the
point where the root file system was being mounted as read-only.  When I
used the Red Hat 2.4.3 SRPM to build a new kernel without 3270 console
support, I didn't have the hanging problem any more, but I then started
experiencing CP disabled waits at various points during the boot process.
Usually I could not get to the point of logging on.  If I did, it wasn't too
long afterwards that I would get the disabled wait.  I really think the
2.4.x kernels should be pulled until they stabilize quite a bit more.

Mark Post

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]