Re: [Redhat-s390-list] Redhat Newbie question.

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Philip J. Tully wrote:

> As far as  I can see when the  RHSETUP process gets to kde-i18n-japanese:  it hangs
> .  A message pops up on the VM 3270 console "VM: killing process inetd"
> Then the telnet session drops and I can't figure out how to restart.

This looks like you're running out of memory (RAM) for some reason. You
might want to allocate more memory to the VM you're installing in, or
create swap files before running rhsetup.

> This occurs after 2+hours of installing RPMs.  Can I run LILO to put the boot
> record out?

It's called zilo (LILO is x86). The problem is that you probably can't get
a shell to run it from if you've run out of memory and the kernel killed
processes.

If there's still a shell running, you may want to try running zilo - you
have to configure it first, though:

chroot /mnt/dest
cat >/etc/zilo.conf <<EOF
append="dasd=whatever noinitrd"
ipldevice=/dev/dasdsomething
image=/boot/image-kernelversion
root=/dev/dasdsomething
readonly
EOF
/sbin/zilo

LLaP
bero

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]