Re: [Redhat-s390-list] support for older machines?

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 10:38:04AM +0100, Bellussi Giorgio wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I'm a poor boy :-) , so I'm allowed to ipl Linux only on a LPAR'ed G3 box with
> only a 3172 as network device (neither OSA, nor CTC (dedicated to production)).
>
> Question 1.
> Suse and Turbolinux distributions are supported only on G5 or G6 machines
> (unlike intel flavours, which should work also with ancient 386!).
> Does Red Hat for s390 will have the same limitations?
> Question 2.
> lcs.o (the network driver for "lan channel stations" like 3172) is still
> distributed as OCO (Object Code Only) also under SRPMS directory. Is it
> permitted by GPL license?
> (the true question is: there will be some way to be sure the instructions of
> lcs.o are supported by pre G4 cpu?)
> BTW: I found a 2.2.15 kernel hacked for pre G3 machines. I tried to IPL it and
> it worked fine (unlike Marist and SUSE, which hang at dasd initialization) until
> the step of network setup.

Linus Torvalds has defined a very strict interface for modules. Binary-only
drivers are allowed that only use this interface, but experience will show
that you often wish you had the source instead of depending on binary-only
modules. :-)

You only need the kernel,initrd and a parameter file to try if the
kernel still supports your CPU. I personally think G3 should work fine
with our kernel, but don't know for sure.

cu,

Florian La Roche

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]