Re: [Redhat-s390-list] Free download

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:

> I really doubt so, because it violates the licenses of most of the
> packages in Linux distributions.
> Unlike certain others, Red Hat cares about open source.

Right. I thought this would violate the licenses but I don't feel
sufficiently informed about that to get into a discussion, other
than publicly thanking them for the clarification of their mode
of operation (for those who are able to read between the lines).

I think it is obvious that a S/390 distribution cannot bring the
revenue for the distributer by the number of sold boxes. Discussion
with various S/390 sites shows that their Linux for S/390 will bring
some Intel distribution sales. Many shops in the US who already are
running Red Hat on the Intel Linux machines are waiting for Red Hat
before they step into Linux for S/390.

> A current unsupported version will always be at
> ftp://rawhide.redhat.com/pub/rawhide/s390.

I noticed it being posted to the list, indeed.
Is this different from the /private/s390 that I have mirrored so far?

> I'm not sure what the current plans for the supported version are, but
> when/if/... it's released, I'm sure it will be available for download.

The installer certainly needs some work. The nfs-root setup makes it
pretty complicated to get started. I think it would be attractive to
unpack that root file system to disk and use it as an in-between
system. I looked into the linuxrc and install script to get that done
but it was not really trivial for me.

With the SuSE install we found most people unable to provide an NFS
server with the SuSE CD's mounted, so nfs-root would be even more of
a problem. We probably should look at alternatives.

Rick Troth recently published cmsfs to access files on CMS mini disk.
I think this would be very attractive to have an iso image on a CMS
disk and mount that file through the loop device. It would also be
interesting to have nfs-root as a file on a CMS disk but currently
it cannot write to them (sent Rick a mail to investigate).

Rob

[Index of Archives]     [Fedora General Discussion]     [LKML]     [Red Hat Install]     [Red Hat Watch]     [Red Hat Development]     [Linux s390]     [Gimp]     [Yosemite News]