Re: futex merge v4.4.280 troubles

Daniel,

On Fri, Sep 17 2021 at 18:16, Daniel Wagner wrote:

> as discussed in today's call, I've pushed my v4.4.280 merge attempt
> to my korg git tree into the v4.4-rt-next branch

if you run into a massive merge conflict which is hard to fix up, then
rebasing first is the way simpler approach. You need the rebased branch
anyway.

So the way Sebastian and I are doing it is to push the quilt queue on
top of the new linux stable version and fixup the problems in the split
up patches one by one. When that works then we rebuild the rebase
branch. After that we do the merge on the forward branch and instead of
fixing the merge conflict manually we do:

  git diff -R rebase_branch.. > fixup.diff

which you can expect and then apply with

  patch -p1 < fixup.diff

or you can just do

  git diff -R rebase_branch.. | patch -p1

Looking at a larger merge conflict is not really helpful and it's way
easier to point other people to the single patch in question which fails
to apply when you push the quilt queue up on the new stable version.

Thanks,

        tglx