Re: %readme and %artifact

On 9/14/20 3:15 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
I just bumped to
   %readme
   %artifact
It is briefly mentioned in --verify man page. But I cannot find what is the purpose. Anyone knows?

%readme is an old practically unused and useless thing from previous millenium where somebody came up with this neat idea that tagging different types of contents is a neat trick. Or something :)

%artifact in contrast is a very recent addition, the main use-case is 'rpm -ql --noartifact' to weed out packaging side-effects which are not interesting to the average user. It's currently only used for debuginfo links but for example byte-compiled Python files would classify.

Additionally, when I try to use %readme it accepts only full path and
cannot be mixed with %doc (which does not need full path).

%doc exists in two forms, "normal" which takes a full path and "special" (which is far more used of the two) which takes a path relative to the build directory and copies to a magic place in the buildroot. The special form indeed does not mix with anything, the normal form should though.

It probably wouldn't be hard to add a special form to %readme too, now that the hard work of detaching the "special" from the "doc" has been done to support the "special" form of %license. The question probably is, who's going to use it/care if we do? I doubt it's worth the trouble...

	- Panu -