Backwards compatibility of the RPM format

Hi, I'm considering moving from mock to rpmbuild, since simplifications in my build process now allow it and rpmbuild is generally faster.

A possible problem is incompatible changes in the format. If I build on Fedora 28+, will the resulting RPM be installable on RHEL? The RPM is self-contained and has no dependencies.

 - are the file formats compatible, and will they continue to be compatible? I know that compression algorithms have changed, but perhaps they were backported (or happened early enough to be included in RHEL)

 - are there flags I can specify to tell rpmbuild to restrict itself to an older feature set?

 - is this a supported practice, or do you recommend against for future-proofing?