Re: Advice for handling very large files in rpm

On 04/18/2018 10:28 AM, tim.green wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have an application that is around 10 gigabytes that I would like to
> package with rpm, it is mostly java EAR files and an application server.
> Everything must be self-contained and run on each server it is installed
> on, however I have a problem with one part: the database.
>
> The database is about 300 gigabytes in size, and so I am concerned about
> simply making an rpm out of it.
>
> What would be a good fit with rpm for using this database? Can I bundle
> it externally somehow?

You probably want to put the database into a separate rpm package. The
main package should then Require: the db package.

You should probably think a bit about versioning. You want to do things
in a way you can update the db and the application separately (if that
is desired) while still ensuring with the Requires that the db is
compatible with the application.

Florian

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill