Re: error: Failed dependencies

In regard to: error: Failed dependencies, david kerns said (at 2:44pm on...:

Just joined the mail-list and found an (unresolved) existing thread with my
exact issue. I'm hoping this get's linked to the existing thread... (last
response Tue, Sep 1, 2015)

# rpm -i mypackage.x86_64.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
   libtestlib.so()(64bit) is needed by mypackage.x86_64.rpm

# rpm -qlp --provides mypackage.x86_64.rpm
testlib.so()(64bit)
/opt/mypackage/lib/testlib.so
/opt/mypackage/lib/libtestlib.so

This is just a guess, but it looks like the shared library you're creating
either doesn't have a SONAME or the SONAME doesn't match the actual file
name.

You should probably read up on best practices for creating a shared
library on your platform (Linux, I presume, though you don't provide
any details about your OS, distribution, version, or RPM version, all of
which would be useful to include).

Note: libtestlib.so is a symbolic link to testlib.so

If I make a hard link instead of a symbolic link (during the build
process), the rpm install works fine

That seems to confirm that it's an issue with the SONAME.  Read up
on shared libraries on Linux and the SONAME.

PS: if this is a package you will eventually distribute to customers,
it's even more important that you follow more of the Linux conventions
for shared libraries.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)