Re: conflicts when file changed from 32bit to 64bit

On 03/15/2016 06:05 PM, Paul Becker wrote:
> I changed one binary file in the RPM from 32bit to 64 bit and now RPM
> seems to think it is an all new RPM
>
> and will not update the previous RPM version. RPM complains about file
> conflicts and if I force
>
> the install, it keeps the previous RPM installed and I have to remove it
> manually.
>

> Is there a way I can make this RPM with a new 64 bit binary properly
> update the previous RPM installed
>
> that had a 32bit binary in it?
>

> yum info still says 32 bit on both the new RPM and the previous RPM.
>

>   Arch        : i386
>

> The only change between the latest RPM and the previous RPM is the
> binary file and release version string that was
>
> incremented by one.

That's pretty weird as there should not be a conflict between a package
and its update at all as they are not installed at the same time. Can
you post the error message, please?

I wonder if this is a multilib situation where you have both a i386 and
an x86_64 package installed and are updating only the i386 package.

Florian

Managing Directors: Paul Argiry, Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham,
Michael O'Neill