Re: Install GCC 4.9.2 on AIX as non -privilege user

On 10/02/2015 03:38 AM, Liqin Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to install GCC 4.9.2 up on AIX 7.1 as non-privilege user, or in user space. There are set of RPM files that need to be installed there.
> In order to do so, I need to build RPM database first. I have tried with:
>
> Rpm --initdb  --dbpath /a/b
>
> No error was shown.
> But when I run rpm  installation command, I got error of "packages.rpm" does not seem like a rpm file....
>

> I need your helps to get this work done.
> The questions are:
>
> 1. Is it possible to install RPM based GCC on AIX in user space or non-privileged user?

No. RPM is not designed for non root installation of packages.

> 2. Is there any instruction as how to do so?

You can try to extract the content of the package with rpm2cpio. Still -
depending on the package - there might still be compiled in paths that
do not allow the software to be used outside its regular place. If this
is the case you are better recompiling the software via make; make install.

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael