Re: Building my first RPM

On 03/12/2015 06:17 AM, Blaxton wrote:
> AIX ships its own openssl package and the package is not in RPM format,
> thus it
> does not have "provides directive" so my rpm can't detect the currently
> installed openssl, and at the installation asks for it.
>
> rpm -ivh Python-3.4.2
> error: failed dependencies:
>         libcrypto.a(libcrypto.so.1.0.0) is needed by Python-3.4.2-1
>         libssl.a(libssl.so.1.0.0) is needed by Python-3.4.2-1
>

> AIX version of openssl has the .a but not .so
> /usr/lib/libcrypto_compat.a
> /usr/lib/libssl.a
> /usr/lib/libssl_compat.a
> /usr/lib/libcrypto.a
>

> Is there a directive or command in .spec file to make python understand
> these libraries already exist ?

Looks like rpm is actually handling the .a vs .so correctly as i does
reference the .a files. So the question is whether the openssl package
is shipped as an rpm or not (my guess is it is not). If that's the case
you need to create an empty dummy package that contains the Provides:
for the openssl library (and probably some more for other system libraries).

An alternative could be creating a nosource rpm that just copies in the
files from the system. This has the advantage of getting the Provides
extracted from the files and though being able to recreate them after an
update without the danger of the Provides getting outdated. Otoh
installing this rpm will overwrite system files with potentially
outdated versions of themselves (may be use --justdb).

Florian

--

Red Hat GmbH, http://www.de.redhat.com/ Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Michael Cunningham, Michael