Re: Best practices for multi-distribution RPMs?

On 07/14/2014 02:05 PM, Daniel John FitzGerald wrote:
Hi,

I've spent considerable time lately trying to find an answer to this question, but have not had much luck. I'm working on a software project that builds for both RHEL and SLES, but the required packages change across systems (for instance, on RHEL we require httpd, whereas on SLES its apache2-prefork). I would like to create a single RPM for all systems that conditionally changes the "Requires" tag based on what distribution the RPM is being installed to, but I'm learning that this is not possible.

What is considered to be the best practices when creating an RPM targeted for different Linux distributions? That is, can we have "one RPM to rule them all", or is it considered preferable to have a different RPM generated specifically for each Linux distribution supported. Furthermore, is there any place where I can find those best practices documented somewhere (ie: "written in stone" on a RedHat or RPM website).
Don't do "one binary RPM to rule them all". The only way to have a single binary RPM is to have a setup script in %post - and that makes users like me nervous, plus the files created by setup aren't tracked by the RPM.

Your goal should be to have one SRPM (or at least one SPEC file), and build for each target system. In the SPEC file, %ifos and other conditionals tweak dependencies, post install processing, etc. The resulting binary RPMs then install and track only the files needed for the target distro/OS.