Re: fedora12 oddity

On 02/02/2013 02:32 PM, Thierry Parmentelat wrote:
Hi there

Following up on a scenario (an f14 physical box spinning off guests from fedora12 to fedora18), I've noticed something a bit off

* in the official f12 repo (I know, I know, this is totally out-of-lived, but please stay with me for a second) I've found that glibc-common *and* filesystem were providing the same file(directory actually) entry '/usr/lib/locale'
  see below for the details

* as I've explained in another post, this f14 box tuns out to run a custom rpm version, rebuilt essentially after the one that comes with f18

* the funny thing is, although this f12 repository worked quite fine of course with the f12 rpm, with this f18-ish rpm I get this error when trying to build an f12 filesystem:

Transaction Check Error:
  file /usr/lib/locale conflicts between attempted installs of filesystem-2.4.30-2.fc12.i686 and glibc-common-2.11.2-3.i686

The directory permissions (most likely access bits but could be user/group too) differ between the packages. Older rpm versions were sloppy here and permitted this, but rpm >= 4.10 requires exact match of permissions for a shared file/directory.

I'm considering various options to work around that - like, rebuilding the filesystem rpm so that it does not (stupidly) expose this empty dir, but I thought maybe there is something simpler than that, like an option to this recent rpm to get backward compatibility ?

There's no compatibility workaround for this in rpm, except the sledgehammer approach of --replacefiles. Rebuilding the filesystem package to either fix the permissions to match those of glibc or omit the directory is probably the path of least pain.

Or alternatively, since you're already using a custom rpm on the host, revert this patch:
http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=commitdiff;h=cf1095648194104a81a58abead05974a5bfa3b9a

	- Panu -