Re: is there any chance rpmbuild exits before reading %files file

I don't think problem related to the background execution.

I suggest you run rpmbuild under strace, like

strace -f -s300 rpmbuild -bb --define <defines> --target ppc-linux --buildroot <full path to a temp directory <spec file>

Then you'll see exactly what file and in what directory rpmbuild tried to open and what was errno

Valery.