Re: Adding a new target?

On 10/30/2012 01:32 PM, David Hagood wrote:
On 10/30/2012 02:16 AM, Panu Matilainen wrote:

/usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc is "factory defaults", custom additions can be
added to

a) "vendor" rpmrc (depends on how rpm was built,
/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc on Fedora/RHEL and derivates)
b) per-host rpmrc (typically /etc/rpmrc)
c) per-user rpmrc (~/.rpmrc)

It seemed to me that the way the logic for -target worked was that it
looked for a file of that name ONLY under /usr/lib/rpm (at least I saw
no attempt to look elsewhere where I ran an strace on RPM).

Oh you mean the "platform target" stuff - rpm's terminology in this area is woefully confused and overloaded. There's no similar default/per-host/per-user system for the platform macros, those need to go in /usr/lib/rpm/platform/ (drop the "platform" part for older versions).

The location is controlled by the macro search path, hardwired in the source, but it is possible to override the whole thing with --macros=<path> directive. Just bear in mind there are quite a few places the path needs to cover and the order is important. Here's the default macro search path for 4.8.x:
http://rpm.org/gitweb?p=rpm.git;a=blob;f=lib/rpmrc.c;h=0818deb57720a6f2532d5be5aee46b73fabe7374;hb=refs/heads/rpm-4.8.x#l426

	- Panu -