Re: building rpm packages for older distributions.

On 01/02/2012 08:38 PM, Elias Abacioglu wrote:

R P Herrold skrev 2012-01-02 18:27:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2012, Elias Abacioglu wrote:

So the question is, is there a way to build packages with "legacy"
support?
Like some way to force the rpm to use other payload and filedigest
methods
that have wider support.

Cause it feels kind of backwards to install centos 4 to build rpm
packages
that should work on old and new versions of rpm.

I dunno about 'feels backward' -- later versions of RHEL, and thus
CentOS have moved to new forms of compression, etc, whose 'emergence
as desired' were not knowable to earlier versions of RPM

The steps of 'ripping out xz compression' and later RPM 'enhancements'
is fairly mechanical', less so is addressing the addition of certain
dependency finding and other 'convenience' macros used in later RPM
versions

That said, a 'general' path to building packages that do not require
invasive changes [1], is to build with the older tools, tweaking the
.spec file, as needed

Hi, well it's Centos 6.2 that has the strange deault settings.
It seems to be:
%_source_filedigest_algorithm 8
%_binary_filedigest_algorithm 8
%_binary_payload w2.xzdio

So I guess I'll change it to
%_source_filedigest_algorithm 1
%_binary_filedigest_algorithm 1

But I do not know which binary_payload is the one with most legacy
support..
Any suggestions of the binary_payload I should use?

"w9.gzdio" will produce packages that any old rpm out there can understand.

	- Panu -