Re: Updating the Release info after package build

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011, Tim T. wrote:

  Trying to puzzle something out, on a rainy sunday afternoon.. Is it
possible to update Release and Version info for a package after the package
has been built ? I know I should just put in the right numbers before I
assemble the package, but I'm considering a situation in which the right
numbers are not available at the moment of build.

(Related question: Is there any easy way of manipulating the contents of an
rpm after it's been build ?)

That would defeat the purpose of "build from pristine source".

Here is a limited scenario that might justify a short-cut: the build
works fine, but the "install" phase misses some files.  You should be able
to redo the rpm starting with install phase, but skipping the (possibly
lengthy) build.  This isn't done now because the install script might
actually alter the built files (by using mv instead of cp, for instance).

However, redoing the rpm after a change to the %files section only should
be safe.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@xxxxxxxx>