Re: need to know if packaging our application stack as an rpm is the right way to go

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011, Marc Deop wrote:

> On Tuesday 08 February 2011 14:02:05 Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> > That is the best when they are static.  But sometimes the proper symlinks
> > to create depends on the environment.
>
> If they depen on the environment... how do you make rpm to manage them?
> If the answer is that you cannot, then I see no point in having them in %post.
Example, you have multiple python rpms for different versions installed
at once.  Only one can be symlinked to /usr/bin/python.  You probably don't
want the "last rpm installed determines the default python" rule.

One solution is to have a special SPEC file for the "system" python
that is the only one to install that symlink.

Another solution is to install the /usr/bin/python symlink only if it
does not already exist.  This provides the "first rpm installed or
admin choice determines the default python" rule.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart@xxxxxxxx>