Re: how to create an rpm of a directory structure

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Dan O'Callaghan <ocalld@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Sorry if this is a basic subject but i'm new to rpm.
>
> What is the best way to create an rpm of a directory structure?
> I don't need to compile any files, i just need to copy files (files such as
> scripts).
>
> Do i need to list all the files and directories in the "%files" section or
> is it possible just to list the top directory in the SPEC file?

Hi.

You do not need to list all of the individual files. You can just list
a top level and RPM will grab the rest.

You can glob by file name,

I'll copy some files sections from spec files that seem relevant.

inkscape.spec:

%files -f %{name}.lang
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%doc AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS README
%doc %{_mandir}/man1/*
%{_bindir}/*
%{_datadir}/%{name}/
%{_datadir}/applications/*.desktop
%{_datadir}/pixmaps/*
%{_mandir}/fr/man1/*

t1lib.spec

%files
%defattr(-,root,root,-)
%doc Changes LGPL LICENSE README
%dir %{_sysconfdir}/t1lib
%ghost %{_sysconfdir}/t1lib/t1lib.config
%ghost %{_sysconfdir}/t1lib/FontDatabase
%{_bindir}/*
%{_libdir}/*.so.*
%{_mandir}/man*/*
%{_sbindir}/*

If you don't install your scripts in a standard location, the macros
for %{_bindir}/*  won't work, but you can do

/wherever/you/put/them/*

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science