Re: confused about %config file directive

Hi Tim!

On Jun 2, 2010, at 3:30 PM, Tim Mooney wrote:

> - package the custom apache config files in my-apache-config (having them
>  marked as %config or %config(noreplace)).

The subtlety with %config(noreplace) is to understand that "noreplace"
does NOT mean
	Never upgrade a %config(noreplace) file.
but rather
	Upgrade %config(noreplace) files iff unmodified.

Two other notes:

  1) there is also --replacefiles to override _ALL_ %config directives
     whenever desired.

  2) Jos Vos has been able to use RPM triggers to replace config file
     content. Its a bit tricky to get the triggers in place (Jos
     proposed the original RFE for triggers -> RPM in 1998), but
     triggers are likely the soundest means to attempt to replace
     (and maintain persitently through upgrades) config file content
     in another package.

(aside)
Hmmm, likely time to implement a per-file %config override in RPM,
now that POPT_ARG_ARGV exists (an easy means to collect multiple paths
from CSV option arguments or multiple option values),
as well as POPT_ARG_BITSET (a Bloom filter bit set for option
arguments in CSV's and multiple options).

todo++

hth

73 de Jeff