Re: upgrade and install in the same transaction?

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Scott Rohde wrote:

Hello,
We want to be able to install a large set of rpm's which may or may not have dependency on each other.  We
would like to be able to install them all in one shot so that the dependency check and ordering can be
done.  However, some of the packages should be 'Upgraded' while others 'installed'.

I am not so familiar with rpm, but it looks like the CLI as it is won't allow 'U' and 'i' on a per package
basis in a single transaction.  Looking at the rpm API seems to be no such restriction.

I'm willing to modify the rpm CLI to allow this use case, but if I do so I would like to know the chances
of getting such an enhancement merged into the official release?  I can work with whoever is interested in
defining the command line interface (I'm thinking using a file format like: <full path to
package><delim><'i'|'U'|'e'><delim><any other package specific flags that make sense>  Then just adding an
option to the rpm CLI to take the file.

you can do the above with the yum shell.

yum shell
install /some/pkg
update /some/pkg2
remove something_else