querying behavior of built in c-macros. (was definition of %doc)

(ps - looking at it a little bit closer, I see that the reason why
this isn't working is because %_docdir is relying on %_defaultdocdir,
which is relying on %_usr, and if I override %_usr, then %doc snaps
to.

Which sort of brings on the following question - how do you see the
behavior of the underlying c-macros, without actually going into  the
c code and plowing around? Is there a doc somewhere?

And am I going to get in trouble re-defining %_usr if all I want to do
is make relocatable packages? When I redefined %_var, it caused all
sorts of issues with rpmbuild itself because the rpmbuild process uses
%_var for various things - and i'm afraid that redefining %_usr is
going to cause similar issues.

And all in all, why can't you simply set '%_prefix' to something and
have everything in rpmbuild snap to? Is that something that rpmbuild
is working towards?

Ed