trivial command to extract files from an rpm file.

All,

As a corollary to creating the rpm file, I'd like a trivial way to
extract (install) a rpm file in a non-standard location, in an
environment where I don't have root and don't want to 'pollute' the
environment, to do various checks on that rpm file.

So, how do you do this? I tried:

rpm -i <bin.rpm> --root /tmp/myroot --nodeps

 but it still looks like it is trying to install the files in the same
location as where they were packaged (ie: prefixed with slash, etc,
curl goes into /usr/bin/curl as usual)

Shouldn't this command put all the files rooted in /tmp/myroot, eg.
/tmp/myroot/usr/bin/curl? If not, how do you make it do so?

Thanks much,

Ed