Re: How-to not get a "depency resolution failed" for a already existing library.

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 10:47 AM, L Pierre<pierrelud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been struggling a few days now to create an installable rpm and no joy.
>
> On installation I get "Dependency resolution failed" message: "libsemnoteslib.so is needed by package plasma-semnotes-0.3.0-1.fc10.i386 (/plasma-semnotes-0.3.0-1.fc10.i386)" although the library does reside on /usr/lib
>
> What I need: I need to install my application that uses a library "libsemnoteslib.so". This library already resides in /usr/lib/. The library should not be installed by my rpm.
>
> Then, as enhancement,it would be nice to just check it the library exists on /usr/lib if not, do not install otherwise install.
>
> I create the rpm perfectly, but during install I get this error.
>
> How do you do this simple task?

We usually let the package manager handle that by adding the required
library as a requirement for installation of your rpm.  Then people
who do "rpm -ivh your.rpm" get an error message saying the required
rpm is not installed.  People who run yum or similar package manager
thing will get the other rpm automatically when they get yours.

Generally speaking, it is bad form to check for the shared library
file, rather than the name of the rpm from which it came.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science