How to avoid reinstalling deliberately deleted config files on upgrade

I'm packaging a system that uses the presence of configuration files to set some options: the option is on if the file is present, and off if the file is missing.

The problem I've run into (obviously) is that when I upgrade the RPM to a newer version, rpm reinstalls all the deliberately deleted config files.

I can't think of a way to stop rpm from doing this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards,

	Richard Siddall