Discussion of %posttrans scriptlets and rpm transactions

Hello everyone,

I would  like to get a better understanding of how RPM plans to deal with post scripts that need to be run at the very end of an RPM transaction.

For example, gconf XML schema registrations are sluggish and significantly impact RPM install and upgrading.  I looked at the OpenSuSE RPM macros and implemented this locally in Fedora and it works. However, would it not make more sense to create something similar to what we have now with brp scripts (that run during build of an SRPM) and create post- scripts that get executed upon the end of an RPM transaction or create a new section within a transaction to run them?

Maybe we need a hybrid approach?

I'm willing to help write code to solve this, It's really painful to wait long times for this schema handling.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Starr
Software Developer, Open Source Grid Development Center (OSGDC)