Re: Qs on RPM Rollbacks

Creative Innovative wrote:
I heard thro YUM mailing list, that RPM no longer supports reliable rollback of transaction.

This information is wrong. RPM no longer supports rollback of transaction.

I have some Qs related to this, and would like to confirm if RPM rollback feature functions reliably or NOT.

The problem with rollback is that scripts with in the rpm can execute arbitrary shell commands. This means that RPM cannot foresee which files are affected by a package and therefore cannot backup all files. As rollback is based on repackage RPM is also restricted to files within the packages within the transaction. This means that neither --repackage nor --rollback can really completely close the gap between downgrading the packages and the desired "undo" function.

Therefore repackage and rollback have been removed in the 4.6.0 release (see http://www.rpm.org/wiki/Releases/4.6.0#Removedfeatures).

Florian