Defines for detecting build OS?

Hi there. My apologies if this is something that's covered in documentation somewhere... but, due to the inability to google for punctuation, I'm finding it a bit hard to locate the appropriate docs. I've done what I think is a reasonable amount of manual searching of documentation without coming up with anything.

I often see spec files that reference defines which appear to be set by the OS... for example, phrases like "%if 0%{?rhel}". Where are these defined? I can't find references in the files in /usr/lib/rpm/ or /etc/rpm/, and can't see a list of these defines in the available documentation.

Is there a relatively complete list of these defines somewhere? Is there a config file in each RPM-using OS where a local one is defined? Pointers would be quite welcome.

Thanks!
   Matt