Re: how to tst the "erase " functionality of an rpm

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, devzero2000 wrote:

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Jennis Pruett <jennyp@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not allowed "root" on any system, but we build rpms to
> give to our sysadmins.
>
> My problem:  Using my .spec file, I create rpms.
> But I can't find any way to test what will happen when the rpm
> is obsolete and the systems folks have to do the rpm -e  rpm_that_I
> built_at_one_time_in_antoher_life.rpm
>

> I can cpio the rpm, and use the rpm -qip to check it. But there is no
way
> that I know
> of, to verify that the erasure will actually remove everything.

Well, generally rpm removes what it knows about. If you're creating files from %post and such, try to move that to the package contents. Or if not possible, make %ghost files of anything that you expect to get created either in scriptlets or software runtime.

> Anyone have an idea?
>
> Thanks,

Use a chroot. Most also build in a chroot
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Projects/Mock

Yup, except chroot needs root privilege which is not available here:
> I am not allowed "root" on any system, but we build rpms to
> give to our sysadmins.

And mock needs root privileges too to do it's job but it's controllable by adding users to group. Whether that's acceptable or not in the environment in question is, well, another question.

fakechroot (+ fakeroot) might help somewhat - neither of these requires special privileges but then they have limitations to what they can do and have some peculiar interactions with how rpm works.

	- Panu -