How do I install an entire directory under /var with rpm

Your last comment was the solution. This had really confused me.

In Summary: What you have told me is I need to build what I want to
install in the %{buildroot} directory of the rpm environment. After it
is built properly, then all I need to do is add the files or directories
of what I want installed in %file section of rpm and it will install
from the "root" location of the system. In everything I had read, that
simple idea as to how rpm works seem to have been obscure to me. I did
not understand that the %file section was used to assigned the files and
directories as well as attributes. Thanks again for answering my novice
question.

Greg_Swift at aotx.uscourts.gov wrote:
>> I have had previously added an install shell scripts that actually
>> did an install.
>>
>> This is what it consisted of in my spec file:

>> %install
>> sh ./installer.sh

>> The script was in the q-statusLinux-5.10.tar-gz file and this is what I
>>
> was:

>> #!/bin/sh
>> VAR=$1
>> if [ "${VAR}" == "no" ]; then
>>     echo "**********************NO*****************"
>>     exit;
>> fi
>>
>> cd ../
>> tar cf -  q-statusLinux-5.10 | (cd /var/local; tar xf -)
>> echo "**********************INSTALLED*****************"

>> When I do rpmbuild it actually installs the program on the machine
>> where I am building the rpm and makes me an rpm (But does not update
>> the Package Manager- no surprise there). But when I export the rpm
>> to another machine and install it. Nothing gets installed except the
>> Package Manager gets updated.  What Am I missing, here?
>>

> The work you are doing with that script doesn't really put the files where
> the rpmbuild process wants them.  For what you are doing it would want them
> in %{buildroot}/var/local not /var/local.
>

> You still need to list the files in the %files section.
>

> -greg

*Michael Barto*
Software Architect

	LogiQwest Circle
LogiQwest Inc.
16458 Bolsa Chica Street, # 15
Huntington Beach, CA  92649
http://www.logiqwest.com/

	    	mbarto at logiqwest.com <mailto:mbarto at logiqwest.com>
Tel:  714 377 3705
Fax: 714 840 3937
Cell: 714 883 1949

*'tis a gift to be simple*
This e-mail may contain LogiQwest proprietary information and should be
treated as confidential.