How do I install an entire directory under /var with rpm

I am at total confused. Look though several example, to try to create a
spec file to install some simple shell scripts in a specified directory
location (e.g. /var/q-statusLinux) to collect data (no compiled program
required). I can update the package registered, but can not make rpm
install the program. I want to more this around on several servers. Here
is my simple spec file. What Am I missing?

My tar-gz file for the spec file consist of the entire directory with
the collection scripts, I wish to install (e.g.
q-StatusLinux-5.10.tar.gz). I want this code directory installed under
/var (e.g. /var/q-statusLinux). Can rpm do this or does it only work
with c-code?  If it can how do I make this happen?

# RPM Spec file for q-StatusLinux 5.10
# No debuginfo:
#%%define debug_package %{nil}

%define _topdir  /home/mbarto/rpm
%define _tmppath %{_topdir}/tmp

%define name      q-statusLinux
%define summary   q-Status Linux Collections Scripts for Server Client.
%define version   5.10
%define release   Base
%define license   GPL
%define group     Applications/System
%define source    %{name}-%{version}.tar.gz
%define url       http://www.logiqwest.com
%define vendor    LogiQwest
%define packager  Michael Barto
%define buildroot %{_tmppath}/%{name}-root

Name:      %{name}
Buildroot: %{buildroot}

%description
Collection scripts for q-status, a Web 2.0 based server analysis and
configuration program that places at the system administrator's finger
tips the
ability to display and analyze the hardware and software for their servers.

%prep
%setup -q

%build

%install

%clean
rm -rf %{buildroot}

%files
%defattr(-,root,root)
*Michael Barto*
Software Architect

	LogiQwest Circle
LogiQwest Inc.
16458 Bolsa Chica Street, # 15
Huntington Beach, CA  92649
http://www.logiqwest.com/

	    	mbarto at logiqwest.com <mailto:mbarto at logiqwest.com>
Tel:  714 377 3705
Fax: 714 840 3937
Cell: 714 883 1949

*'tis a gift to be simple*
This e-mail may contain LogiQwest proprietary information and should be
treated as confidential.