Re: Dependencies on other hosts in a distributed application?

> I find myself responsible for managing an ecosystem of rpms for our
> custom application. One of the interesting sticking points is what we
> call the "db" rpm. Most of the other rpms won't run correctly unless
> that rpm is installed. The catch is, it's got to be installed on the
> database node(s) of the application, not the application nodes that
> the other rpms are being installed on.
>
> I haven't seen anything to indicate that the rpm format can handle
> such a dependency. Have I overlooked something? Anybody got *any*
> ideas on how such a thing might be handled?

As far as I know it not a feature.  Most applications with similar
distributed configurations tend to rely on the db client packages and then
require you to setup the package manually or with a script after the
install.

I guess there is one method you could try, although I'm sure most packagers
would disagree with the practice, as do I. However this is an internal
custom application, and I've been placed in similar situations before.  You
can try setting up the check for the remote db inside the %pre script and
failing at that point if the check is unsuccessful.  This way you can at
least have a fairly controlled failure point based on that dependancy
before your rpm tries to do any additional work.  Having typed it I like
the idea even less, but there it is.  Having re-read your question, I'm not
sure if that is what you are already doing or not.

-greg