Re: Dependency problem when "post" runs command from the rpm

On Sep 15, 2008, at 11:24 PM, Michael A. Peters wrote:

Toralf Lund wrote:
I've run into an installation order issue related to the "post" scriptlet in one of my packages. Basically, this scripts executes a (command-line only) program installed by the package, and this program pretty much needs everything required by the package. The problem is, if I install my package along with some of the required software, the requirements are often installed *after* the "main" package - which means the "post" script won't work because some of what the program needs isn't installed yet. So, this is when I use "Requires(post)", isn't it? But how do I set it up? The Requires of the package is a very long list, and most of the entries are added via the "AutoReqProv" mechanism, so duplicating the info by hand for "Requires(post)" is rather hard. Is there an alternative? Can I somehow say that everything in the main Requires list is also required by "post"? Or alternatively, can I enable automatic search for shared objects etc. for Requires(post) just like for Requires?

Perhaps my understanding is wrong - but I believe:

Um, yes, wrong.

Requires(pre) is when something is required for a pre-install script.
Requires(post) is when something is required for a post-install script but not necessarily for the package itself - IE you could remove the dependency after the post script has run.

When installing a group of RPMs together, the post scripts are not run until after all the packages are installed - so if foo requires bar and the foo post script needs bar installed - just Requires: bar should ensure that bar is actually installed before the foo post scriptlet runs.

The %pre and %post scripts are run immediately before/after a package is installed,
not after all the packages are installed.

This is also true for %preun/%postun when a package is erased, the scripts are run
immediately before/after the erasure.

My understanding of this may not be 100%

What is most confusing is that rpm does install before erase. Which means that %post scriptlet is run before %preun is run, which is perhaps counter- intuitive, but is exactly what is needed if shared libraries are being upgraded on live systems. The new librrary must be installed before the old library is removed in ordeer to minimize the window
where the library is not available.

Another confusion is the relationship on upgrade between the new installed package and the older erased package(s) (note that Obsoletes: can/will lead to multiple packages to be erased). rpm has never guaranteed any relation between installed <-> erased package ordering other than "Erasing is after install." As originally implemented, erasing was immediately after install. Nothing wrong with that except that forces the erasure to happen before the next install is attempted, whgich is slower than delaying all erasures until later, as erasures can always be run in parallel (assuming that erasure dependencies are accurate and that erasures are well ordered, but even those details usually
don't matter on upgrade).

And finally that brings the topic to context markers like Requires(post) etc.

Context markers like Requires(post) are intended to break dependency loops while
ordering.

A package that "needs" some other package solely while running a %post scriptlet, not after being installed, can carry a Requires(post) hint to the ordering within rpm.

The hint excludes dependency loops between install <=> erase packages.

The other major affect of adding an explicit Requires(post) hint is that those dependencies are not registered in an rpmdb because they were needed solely for installing, not for using or erasing, a package. There's no need to keep track of the install context dependencies after the install has been done because
the %post scriptlet is run only during install, never run after install.

hth

73 de jeff