Re: How to 'Require' a version on a certain branch

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Rex Dieter wrote:
Julian Cowley wrote:

I have a question about how to get Require to require a package in a
certain branch rather than a specific version.

Can I require that a package start with a certain version, but be any
version within that branch?  For instance, I want to require version 1.1
and let 1.1, 1.1.0, 1.1.1 satisfy the requirement (but not 1.2, say).

Is this possible?

Not really (afaik).

That's what I thought.

One way to do accomplish something cloes to what you're asking... is to make
Package foo include (something like)
Provides: foo11

and for Package bar
Requires: foo11

Well, since I'm building all of the packages in question and not mixing any RPM archive packages with my own, I suppose I can do this. Thanks for the idea.

The other way to go is to bite the bullet and make the dependent package specify the exact version it depends on. More work for the packager (me) since it requires making a package for each new version of the main package, but at least it prevents any installer from creating an inconsistent system.

-=- julian