pathnames, etc. as required capabilities

Hi,

I have a little C++ program I wrote that uses RPM library
calls to extract dependency info from RPM files, and then
does some analysis on the extracted info.  As input, the
program takes the entire set of RPMs in the CentOS 5
distro.  Looking at the output, I notice that there are a
number of capabilities required by packages in the distro
but not shown as being provided by any package in the
distro.  Almost all of these are full pathnames (for
instance "/bin/sh" and "/bin/gzip").  The remaining few
are strings that look like they specify things provided
by the RPM library itself (such as
"rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)" and
"rpmlib(PartialHardlinkSets)").

Based on these observations, I am guessing that the
following conventions probably apply to strings extracted
from RPM headers that represent required capabilities:

    1.  Any capability string that looks like an absolute
        pathname should be treated as one.  In addition
        to packages that explicitly list such a
        capability as being provided, any package whose
        set of included files contains a matching
        absolute pathname should be treated as providing
        that capability.

    2.  Any capability string that looks like
        "rpmlib(...)" should be assumed to refer to
        something provided by the RPM library itself.

Is this correct?  If so, I have a couple of questions:

    - The RPM package that provides the RPM library
      itself (rpm-4.4.2-37.el5.i386.rpm for CentOS 5)
      doesn't list capabilities such as
      "rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)".  Is there any way,
      just by using RPM library calls to get info from
      the RPM package, to determine whether it provides
      things such as "rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)"?  If
      not, how do I use RPM library calls to ask the RPM
      library on an installed system which capabilities
      of this type it provides?

    - Are there any kinds of strings other than absolute
      pathnames and things like
      "rpmlib(CompressedFileNames)" that an RPM header
      may list as required but must be treated as special
      cases?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Dave