Re: New to RPMs - Dependencies in my own rpm

In regard to: New to RPMs - Dependencies in my own rpm, Linux said (at...:

I am attempting to create an RPM with a binary and a dependent shared
library.

%files
/mypath/bin
/mypath/lib

In the bin directory, is my program:
myprog

In the library, is my library plus links to the library
mylib.so.2.1.1 (actually library)
mylib.so (link to the library)

When I try to install the rpm, it says that mylib.so is required by the
rpm to install, but it is in the rpm.

If I querry the package to see what it provides, it provides
mylib.so.2.1.1

But the link is what is "needed" by the package. How do I get the rpm to
know that it also provides the link? Or am I linking the executable
incorrectly?

It's more likely you're building the library incorrectly.  Does your
library have a SONAME?  If not, you need to build it so that is has one,
and then relink myprog.  That will probably fix the issue you're having.

Basically, running

	ldd myprog

and

	objdump -p mylib.so.2.1.1 | egrep SONAME

should both agree for mylib.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx