rpm, install, and umask

I am confused how an rpm package I generated to simplify adding support for an additional hardware device (reflective memory card).  I hope someone can explain what happens and the proper way I should create the rpm.

My problem is somehow related to the umask setting, since I did not have any problems until the default umask changed to 077 to comply with security settings.  Installing the rpm package after the default umask is 077, some header files that are place in /usr/lib/rfm2g directory with no permission for group and world.

My install section for the header files uses the command install -d /usr/lib/rfm2g.  When I test the command by setting my umask to 077 and test the command I get a directory created with read and execute rights for everyone (owner, group, and world).  What is the rpm package doing differently?