Re: RE : Failed dependencies on /usr

On 1/11/08, ELASRI Patrice SOFRECOM <patrice.elasri@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for these information. Is there a document which talks about it ?
I tried the
–noparentdirs option and it works fine.

I'm not sure what else you want documented. The rule
    Every file depends on its parent directory.
seems pretty obvious and unambiguous to me.

The issues that I'm aware of are solely with compatibility,
and the --noparentdirs/--parentdirs options are mechanism only, they
cannot solve compatibility issues that depend on distro packaging policy.

There has always been a need in rpm to identify directories that
are not contained in packages, and are left behind when packages
are erased. There is also the need to add SELinux file contexts
to all created files/directories correctly, which is most rationally done
if all directories are contained in some package.

There is also ( in 4.4.7+?, I fergit) a --orphandirs popt alias that will

display all directories that are not packaged:

    rpm -Va --nofiles --orphandirs

that should generate a sort'd uniq'd list of directories that are not packaged.

The _autorelocate_path macro setting is necessary. Otherwise, the package is installed under /emul/noarch-hpux11.23 !!!

I'm using rpm 4.4.7 which I have built on HPUX 11.23 / ia64. The RPM database was initialised with a pseudo package providing usual interpreters ( /bin/sh, /bin/ksh, /bin/perl, … ).

Ah ia64 multilib.

Expect some problems is all that I can say. The implementation of multilib on ia64

in rpm was done in like 8 hours on a borrowed ia64 developer's box and has never been

properly QA'd to my knowledge.

I'm not so aware about the rpm developments ; I'm just an rpm user. What do you means by multilib ?
About the _autorelocate_path macro setting, I noticed that this one is mandatory when the –prefix option is used, what ever the package architecture. Otherwise, the package is installed under /emul/noarch-hpux11.23, or even under /emul/ia64-hpux11.23 for the architecture dependents packages built on ia64.

The term "multilib" comes from gcc and describes conventions for installing
executables/libraries for multiple platforms on a  system.

The functionality was added to rpm on ia64 to permit installing ix86
as well as ia64 packages. The _autorelocate_path variable is used
to configure the prefix of the path for the non-native executables.

SELinux, in particular, is likely to be extremely weird on a multilib/ia64 box

because of the /emul/noarch-hpux11.23 prefix breaking the lookup of

file contexts from SELinux configuration.

I'll be happy to help you sort out any/all multilib/ia64.

Likely <rpm-devel@xxxxxxxx > is a better place to report issues, as only the few & the brave are attempting HP-UX multilib/ia64 relocated installs with rpm-4.4.7+.

If you are interested on, I can report you what I did for building and installing RPM on HP-UX.

I'd be interested in any additional patches that are needed; <rpm-devel@xxxxxxxx>
is the better place to send patches.

73 de Jeff