Re: Fwd: OK, I had to do it again (disk transplant from a i586 to a i686)...

At Mon, 24 Dec 2007 08:50:57 -0500 RPM Package Manager <rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 11:05 -0500, Robert Heller wrote:
> > I posted this to the linux.redhat.com newsgroup and didn't get a reply.
> > I now need to apply some updates, but can't do things automagically with
> > yum because of this problem (I'll have to update some packages manually
> > with 'rpm --ignore-arch ...', which is a real PITA).  I did a google
> > search and cannot find any documentation on how to fix this.  Do I
> > really need to do a fresh re-install?  Arg!!!
> >

> edit /etc/rpm/platform

It works!!! Thanks.

Where is this documented?

> make sure it says i686, not i586 in there.
>

> then do your updates w/yum. It, in theory, should be able to get you to
> the proper archs.
>

> -sv

Robert Heller             -- Get the Deepwoods Software FireFox Toolbar!
Deepwoods Software        -- Linux Installation and Administration
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Web Hosting, with CGI and Database
heller@xxxxxxxxxxxx       -- Contract Programming: C/C++, Tcl/Tk