Re: Building rpms with make

On Dec 18, 2007 9:06 AM, Richard Siddall <cobalt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm trying to automate building a set of RPMs for a yum repository and
am kicking around the idea of using 'make'.

I'm having trouble figuring out the generic RPM build rule.  I'm
guessing that having the version and release numbers, and the
architecture encoded in the RPM name is going to complicate building
such a rule.  Presumably it's not as simple as:

       %.rpm : %.spec %.tar
               rpmbuild -ba $*

Could someone point me at a makefile that does this kind of repo
management (i.e. builds dozens of RPMs from dozens of spec files)?

The fundamental problem is that make rules use a timestamp
on files to determine "newer". That's great for .c.o rules, but
insufficient to handle other side-effects.

PLD has been using CVS for building rpm packages since <2000,

Connectiva had a nice SVN package building repository ~2003.

Red Hat exposed there CVS system in Fedora ~2004.

(all dates from memory) I'm sure there are other systems.

Silly to reinvent square wheels imho.

73 de Jeff