Re: using "--nodeps" with rpmbuild is it possible?

In regard to: using "--nodeps" with rpmbuild is it possible?, diego bowen...:

Hello I?ve installed DBI via cpan (so everything is bundled) and I?ve created a new rpm however I'm still getting stuff like:

 after running rpmbuild --bb --defines  .......

 Requires: /usr/bin/perl perl(DBI) perl(Sys::Syslog)
 + ssh foo@diego /usr/bin/sudo /bin/rpm -Uv /var/tmp/rpm.31117
   Suggested resolutions:
       perl-DBI-1.40-8.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
       perl(DBI) is needed by my-new-new-2.15-1.i386

 Can i use "--nodeps" so that it doesnt check for this rpm that is
 probably installed via the cpan bundle.  "rpmbuild --nodeps" doesnt
 seems to work .....please advise.  thanks

--nodeps is only used at install time (not build time), to work around
a package that has dependencies that you want to ignore.

At build time, if you don't want your package to gather any dependency
information, you accomplish that by adding

AutoReqProv: no

to the header of the spec file.  See "Maximum RPM" for more information.

Note that turning off all dependency information for an RPM you build
can cause problems and frustrate your customers too.  Assuming you're
building with a version of RPM that's relatively modern, there are ways
to remove just certain dependencies (leaving the rest).  You do that
by redefining macro that specifies what tool is used to find the
requirements (for perl, the macro is likely named %__perl_requires),
and then including your own custom version of that script that doesn't
output the dependencies you want to avoid.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                              mooney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx